Thursday, January 27, 2011

Boogers & Snot & Cooties oh my


Stupid cold germs. For some reason they have decided to come to visit our house over and over again this winter.

So we’ve upped the breathing treatments to three, if not four a day (that’s 2 hours of treatments with a toddler a day people). I want this cold gone. quick. I am really crossing my fingers that if we’re super aggressive from the start that we might be able to avoid antibiotics…probably won’t happen, but it’s worth a shot.

And somehow, he always gets sick right when Casey has to leave town for work.

Last night was…well…rough. He fell asleep on the couch watching “tartoons” (cartoons) around 5:45 so I snuggled him up in his crib.

The air has been extremely dry lately, so I decided to clean out a humidifier and put it in his room. As I was mixing up some water & vinegar to clean it out…I managed to dump a bunch of the vinegar all over the bathroom floor. It did not smell great, to say the least. Overwhelming would better describe it. But, I guess that section of our bathroom floor is nice and clean now…

Around 9 or so, he started screaming bloody murder. He had sneezed and had snot all over his face. So we switched up pjs, washed his face, laid on the couch, did another vest treatment, and he fell back asleep.

Around 1 a.m., a whole two hours after I finally fell asleep, he woke up crying again. So, I pulled him into my bed hoping we’d both get some sleep. Here’s the problem

  • (almost) two year olds don’t sleep on one spot. before long his feet were up against my side and he was taking up 3/4 of the bed.
  • (almost) two year olds with colds snore. and snore loudly.
  • (almost) two year olds cannot stand sleeping in their mom’s bed without somehow touching that other person. no matter how many times I scooted him over, within a minute he had scooted himself right back over into my space. back into my space, snoring in my face.

So now, it’s 2:30 a.m. Gavin is finally asleep. I on the other hand was wide awake. So I carried him back into his bed and finally started to fall back asleep when…yep, you guessed it, he was awake again.

It’s now 3:15 a.m. Gavin is back in my bed asleep. I am awake. This was a problem, see above list.

Around 4:15 a.m. I moved him back into his bed again and thankfully he stayed there, asleep, until nearly eight this morning. Unfortunately, he was just hacking away. We immediately went downstairs to do a vest treatment and when we finished he looked at me and said, “me feel so better now Mama.” And his cough had definitely decreased. As much as I hate him having to need those breathing treatments each and every day, it sure is a blessing to have such a machine & good ole medications to help him move around all the gunk that collected in his sleep. Honestly, I can think of many a mornings where I would like to shake my own chest full of mucus right on up and out…

It’s going to be 30 degrees out today, it feels like a heat wave. Yes, I am being serious Margaux! I hope he feels better after his morning nap so we can spend some time outside, I honestly can’t remember the last time it was warm enough to be out there to play…probably early December. And I think some fresh air would do us both good.


  1. Lol, a heat wave. Crazy people! I hope he starts feeling better ... and that you both get a good night's rest!

  2. Oh my... frustrating situation, but very funny how you described it! I know how you feel about sharing a bed with kids! When Alexis sleeps by us the 15lb little "octopus" seriously takes up the entire bed and Paul and I are left with a few inches. I still haven't figured out how she can take that much space! Hope you guys feel better soon... winter is so brutal, we need spring.

  3. Oh poor baby! Get better soon Gavin!

  4. I love when you give me shout outs, thanks!! :)