Monday, March 29, 2010

Why we…

did swimming lessons.

I’ve gotten several comments from moms saying that they now are wanting to sign up their kids for classes…love that!

Why did we sign up? First off, Minnesota is the land of 10,000 (plus) lakes. And we have a cabin. On a lake. Obvious need of swimming lessons.

Second, I never want him to panic around the water. Whether it’s jumping off the dock into the lake, jumping off the deck of a pool, or jumping into the ocean, I want him to see the enjoyment of being in the water. And I most definitely do not want him to be that kid in swimming lessons who screams bloody murder when the teacher coaxes them into the water.

Third, it was great interaction with other kids his age. We saw them once a week…for six weeks. Just often enough to remember his little buddies. Hopefully we’ll see the same kids in future classes.

Lastly, and most importantly, it was a great “adventure” for the two of us. It taught Gavin to trust me and it showed me that he is capable of much more than I had previously thought.

The biggest problem? Realizing that I had to get into a swimsuit…in the winter. The Minnesota winter is meant for hotdishes (definition: casseroles) filled with cream of something soups, and sweatpants. Not swimsuits! :)

1 comment: