I’ve been had.
And I am not a happy camper. Not long after Gavin was diagnosed with CF a gal named….let’s call her Jane Doe…messaged me through facebook to let me know that she was in her late 20s living with CF.
Jane Doe was so supportive, lived nearby and even though she had had a lung transplant, she was doing well and living life. It was so cool to “meet” an adult CFer.
Well two days ago, I was contacted by several individuals that Jane Doe doesn’t actually have CF.
At first I didn’t want to believe it. I was shocked and in disbelief.
But then I started putting the pieces together.
- She had never heard of the latest Vertex drugs in clinical trials right now. Or several of the others.
- Every time we had plans to meet up (she “lived” where we currently live now) she’d back out at the last minute.
- Once we moved to Rochester, she suddenly had to move home, and then moved to Cleveland for transplant #2 when I mentioned I’d drive out to visit her.
- She had my cell number but always avoided the question when I asked for hers.
- She had never heard of the Gift of Life Transplant House in Rochester where she currently resided and had just had a transplant. (She probably freaked when she realized Casey’s dad is on the Board of Directors there)
- Almost all of the pictures on her facebook are of her only. (no family members, other friends etc.)
- She avoided questions about people we may have both known from the small WI city she was from. (I went to college in WI)
- People have proven that the latest pictures she had posted on facebook of the docs and nurses that aided her in Cleveland…were stolen off of someone else’s Flickr site.
- It has been proven that the Cleveland Clinic did not perform a lung transplant on the day she claims to have received hers.
Still not sure why it took someone else to alert me…putting all of those “facts” together makes it pretty obvious. There’s more that I didn’t even list…sigh…
I don’t know if I should be mad at her, or feel bad for her. She’s obviously a very lonely and mentally unstable person to make up such lies…and to go to such extremes to try to keep them all in line.
But I do feel like I wasted uncountable hours worrying about her…and praying for her…
Have I confronted her? No.
Why? Not worth my time.
The facts are there. There is no need to spend anymore time fretting about it.
Unfortunately she is not the first to fake having CF in the internet world & there are probably others just like her floating around claiming to have other diseases. Hopefully someone will be able to track her down, and all the others out there, so they can receive their deserved consequences and receive the help they so greatly need.